AND NEVER MISS A NEW POST
By Marvin | November 22, 2017 |
Hey Ascenders, it’s big bird time! Thanksgiving is right around the corner, which means quality time wth family, helping those in need and (obviously), chowing down on great food. But here’s the thing: It’s great to enjoy your food, but enjoying your meal does not equal overeating. You always have a choice. It’s not about forbidding yourself from enjoying the feast, it’s about choosing your indulgences!
So let’s focus on the Thanksgiving basics: aka, turkey. After all, it is the main dish. Why not try to make it as healthy as possible! The good news is that turkey is naturally full of protein and fat- which your body needs to restore energy and rebuild cells. The better news is that our recipe adds omega-3 acids from walnuts, as well as vitamins and crunch from apples. So you’ll leave Thanksgiving dinner full of energy, instead of feeling sluggish and guilty!
Ok, let’s revamp our healthy turkey- Paleo style!
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Melt the butter in a small pan. Add the zest and juice of the lemon and 1 teaspoon of thyme leaves to the butter mixture. Set aside.
3) Take the giblets out of the turkey and wash the turkey inside and out. Remove any excess fat and leftover pinfeathers and pat the outside dry. Place the turkey in a large roasting pan. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the turkey cavity.
4) Crush the walnuts and dice the apples. Stuff the cavity with the bunch of thyme, the walnuts and the diced apples. Brush the outside of the turkey with the butter mixture and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5) Tie the legs together with string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the turkey.
6) Roast the turkey about 2 1/2 hours.
7) Remove the turkey to a cutting board and cover it with foil. It should be resting for 20 minutes.
8) Slice the turkey and serve.
Enjoy your Thanksgiving guys! We love you!
Extra tip: We highly recommend pairing your turkey with our sweet potato french fries!
*About Ascend Body: As the best personal trainers in San Francisco’s Mission District, we offer 1:1 personal training, Semi-Private strength training sessions and Boost your body small group training sessions. We pride ourselves on having the best nutritionist, massage therapists and wellness coaches in SF to provide you a one stop shop for all your SF fitness and wellness needs. Call (415) 724-7164 to schedule a free nutrition and fitness consultation today!
SIGN UP AND GET A FREE
FITNESS AND NUTRITION CONSULTATION!