AND NEVER MISS A NEW POST
By Marvin | November 10, 2017 |
Who can resist the salty, greasy deliciousness of French fries? When you’re craving carbs, there are few snacks that can compete. But let’s be real: we all know fries aren’t the healthiest option. The good news is that’s mostly due to the frying process and oils used to make them. So lets pimp up the recipe and make French fries healthy!
We’ll start by using sweet potatoes. Here’s why: When you engage in strenuous activity, your body takes glucose from your cells to fuel you. Afterwards, it’s important to replenish those stores of glucose with healthy sources of sugar. Sweet potatoes contain more simple sugars than plain old potatoes. That’s right, sugar, or more specifically carbs, can be good for you. Sweet potatoes also full of Vitamin A, which keeps your eyes sharp, your bones and skin healthy, and which plays an integral role in red blood cell production.
So what are you waiting for? Let’s make some fries! But remember: Workout first to earn your carbs.
Ingredients (makes 2 servings):
-1 large sweet potato
-2 tablespoons of olive oil
-generous pinch of chili, rosemary, & thyme
-sprinkle of sea salt
1. Cut the potato lengthwise into 1 inch thick slices and put them in a plastic bag
2. Heat the oven to 360 degree Fahrenheit
3. Mix the olive oil with the chili, rosemary and thyme in the bag and mix all the ingredients together, making sure the spices stick to the potatoes
4. Spread the slices out on a baking sheet and put them in the oven
5. Wedge a wooden spoon between the oven door and bake for 15 – 20 minutes: this gets the fries nice and crispy
6. If you don’t have a wooden spoon, you can open the oven door a few times (3-5) during the baking process
7. Take the fries out of the oven and sprinkle them with sea salt
*About Ascend Body: As the best personal trainers in San Francisco’s Mission District, we offer 1:1 personal training, Semi-Private strength training sessions and Boost your body small group training sessions. We pride ourselves on having the best nutritionist, massage therapists and wellness coaches in SF to provide you a one stop shop for all your SF fitness and wellness needs. Call (415) 724-7164 to schedule a free nutrition and fitness consultation today!
SIGN UP AND GET A FREE
FITNESS AND NUTRITION CONSULTATION!