By ascendbody | April 26, 2017 |
- 1 lb sweet Italian pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Bunch of fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- *pinch of crushed red pepper (optional)
- 8 whole eggs, whisked
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 roma tomatoes (or 3 smaller tomatoes), thinly sliced
- fine grain sea salt and pepper, to taste
- more chopped fresh basil for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Heat the coconut oil over med-hi heat in a medium sized cast iron or other ovenproof skillet *See Note
- Crumble the sausage in the pan and cook, breaking it up as it cooks so it browns evenly. *Add the crushed red pepper now if you wish for extra spice.
- Once your sausage is toasty brown, add the spinach to the pan and give it a stir to soften and blend with the sausage, then remove from heat.
- Sprinkle the sausage mixture with chopped fresh basil once off the heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk your eggs well with onion powder and salt, then pour egg mixture over sausage mixture slowly to cover.
- Top the egg/sausage mixture with sliced tomatoes and sprinkle with more sea salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Bake in the preheated oven 20-25 minutes, or until the eggs are set and edges begin to turn golden brown. Garnish with more fresh chopped basil once the frittata has baked.
- Let it sit to cool and set a bit, and then either serve or wrap and refrigerate/freeze for later use.
To learn more about this super savory paleo brunch idea, please visit our friends at Paleo Running Mama!