By Shane Young | October 12, 2012 |
Drinking plenty of water serves as the most important foundation to maintaining our overall health and fitness. Water serves as many important functions in our body; yet, its primary role is to maintain healthy cell life. Water brings in nutrients to the cells and removes toxins and waste to be disposed out of your body.
Based on the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 700 pollutants exist in our water sources, mainly infested with water run off contributed from industrial agriculture practices. The following 7 tips will help ensure your body gets a good, quality water source:
- Use a shower filter head to remove chlorine and other pollutants that get absorbed through your skin and breathed into our lungs from the steamy, hot shower.
- Use a filter system for your kitchen sink, one that uses a charcoal filter so that it that removes pollutants, including chlorine.
- A good quality water will have 200-300ppm (parts per million) of mineral activity. This is indicated on the water bottle. I bet you didn’t know that information was there, did you? The best water sources are Evian, Fuji, Volcanic, and Mountain Valley Spring Water.
- Add a pinch of salt to restore mineral content. When you’re stressed, your body depletes Magnesium and Vitamin C. Drinking good, quality water helps restore those depleted minerals.
- In the morning, rinse your mouth to get rid of bacteria collected in your mouth over night, more affectionately known as what causes morning breath.
- Drink 25% of your total daily water consumption requirement to restore your dehydrated body from what hopefully had been a restful night’s sleep.
- Drink half your body weight in ounces of water per day. This does not include teas, coffee, sports drinks, or juices.
So, the next time you feel you need an energy boost, find muscles cramping, or just find your mouth feeling dry, reach for a glass of water and feel mental clarity and physical energy refreshed.