- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 TBSP cooking fat of choice
- ½ small onion, diced
- 1 lb 80-85 % lean ground beef
- ½ cup diced tomatoes (from a can, no salt added)
- ½ tsp fine grain sea salt
- ½ – 1 tsp chipotle chili pepper (I used ¾ tsp)
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Optional toppings – Paleo & Whole30 compliant ranch dressing plus thinly sliced scallions
- First, bake your sweet potatoes* – preheat your oven to 400 degrees and wrap each potato in aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until completely soft in the center. The size/shape of your potato will affect the baking time!
- While you bake (or reheat) your sweet potatoes, make the chili. Heat a med/large skillet (I used this cast iron one) over medium heat. Add your cooking fat, then diced onions and stir to coat. Once softened, add the ground beef, breaking up lumps to evenly brown.
- Add the salt and spices and stir, cooking the beef until browned – about 3-4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 5-10 more minutes, lowering the heat to avoid burning.
- Cut open your sweet potatoes, stuff, top with ranch dressing and scallions if desired, and enjoy!
To learn more about this savory paleo dinner idea, check out our friends over at PaleoRunningMama!